Friday, November 03, 2006

Recent happenings...



Decorating & rearranging...as I mentioned elsewhere it is starting to come together in dribbles and drabs. I'm loving the juxtapositions I'm getting: funky with formal, cheap interspersed with nicer, orange with red (odd color combinations), and all the elements of fung shui coming together (because of course, Bill insists that everything fit those principles!). Fung Shui tries to incorporate those divergent extremes, so I guess i feel like my house is becoming more balanced (soft with hard, round with square, high with low, etc.).
Outreach..La Qunita was over here for dinner last night, and we were helping her come up with a plan for getting out of her desperate circumstances. Cynthia is giving her some work to do, and likely she and her girls are going to come live with us in Grayson's room (!) for a few weeks until she can get some $$ saved up and a place to live. I feel hopeful that she's at a place where she can make some real changes, and turn her life (and that of her children) around.
Leaves...I think yesterday had to be THE peak day around here....the yellows and reds were simply breathtaking. Across the hill (a half hour north of here, where mom just reported back) the leaves are faded and falling fast. I love autumn!
Peace in the home....other than the occasional spat between C & M (who are polar opposites on every scale) it's peaceful around here. Maybe it is G's testosterone being on the other side of the world from Bill's; maybe it's the fruition of lots of changes over the past few years; maybe it's just the alignment of the stars -- but it feels peaceful.
Being Catholic...I'm out of the exploration phase...not reading theology or biographies or anything; just being. I feel like it's my identity but it isn't any big deal anymore, if that makes sense. Yesterday was All Soul's, and before that was All Saint's...and while these observations aren't second nature to me yet, they are on my radar screen of observance.
Open Studios...this is an annual event in my town and it is happening this weekend. It is where 80 of the artists in the community open their studios for a weekend to the public. So I'll spend Sat and Sun driving all over the county, talking with artists and getting inspired by their works. I look forward to it each year, and usually end up making contacts and acquaintances that make me feel more a part of the arts community. This year, one of the Beths is opening her studio. Anyway, I'm looking forward to fun this weekend!
Death...in the past week, there have been two deaths of people I knew. One was a suicide. November is for Catholics the month of honoring the dead. Death just feels more real and present to me, which conversely makes life seem so much more precious.

No comments: