Thursday, November 23, 2006

12 Things to be thankful for today.


1. Grayson is OK overseas. He was in charge of making mashed potatos for the 2 Canadians, 1 British, and 5 Americans that comprised his 'family' Thanksgiving. He's found a job, he's settled in a city by the beach, he's found friends and an apartment. He's living his life, and he IS alive, and for that I'm grateful.

2. My dog. When you're driving down the road schlepping folks all over town, and you feel isolated and meaningless, there's nothing like soft fur and an occasional lick on the face. And then when he leans out the window to catch the wind, looking for all the world like a misplaced hood ornament, it cracks me up. It can be 30 degrees out, but I'll roll the window down because it makes him happy, and it makes me laugh.

3. That I don't have to trade lives with anyone. My life is good. This is especially pronounced this year with LaQuinta here.... Almost always, I take my life for granted....it's just my boring life. But when you see others who have no (NO) resources, no web of support, no stable base, no healthy heritage, few skills (life or career), little education or curiosity .... you realize those things are nothing to take for granted.

4. Bill. We're almost 18 months into our second marriage, and it is a world different than the first marriage.

5. This year home with Mackenzie. Although he's about to go stir crazy for lack of social interaction, I'm just plain grateful to get to spend time with him. He's a fun person, and makes me laugh often.

6. Clark's confirmation coming up. That he followed his heart, and not a path we prescribed, and yet he wound up with us in church anyway. He was so resistant to anything Catholic for several years, so this is really a pleasant surprise. And he starts serving at the altar the night after his confirmation, so he's really following a serious path.

7. My house is feeling homey and almost finished in the decorating department.

8. Chelsea is my friend. I really enjoy her, even though it isn't a 'talk every day' kind of thing. She gets me, I get her, and it's really nice. I'm grateful she's contemplating gastric bypass...I would love to see her healthy and attractive and more engaged in life.

9. My Apple. :-) Ahhhhhh.

10. My friends ... I don't have LOTS of friends, but I'm honing in on the ones who are true, and that is nice. Friendships have changed over the years, especially because of church affiliation, and so they've been in flux. But a few old friends are dearer than ever, and a few new friends give me hope that I can find a community of dear friends.

11. Trapdoor Society, my online community. It's part of my life every day and my life is richer for the perspectives and people who make it up. I've been deeply changed, and wholeheartedly supported there.

12. My art. That I've really connected with painting and with artists this year. I still don't give it the time it needs but I'm grateful for what I [i]have[/i] been able to give it.

No comments: