Sunday, December 03, 2006

Advent Begins!


I pulled decorations down yesterday, intent on getting my Advent wreath set up before it was actually needed (a departure from the usual practice). I don't have many Christmas decorations and sometimes I wish I did. Like now. :-) But I think I'd rather be minimalist than excessive if I had to choose. If I can decorate the stairway with garland, the front door with a wreath, two mantels, and a tree ... that will be enough. I don't have a theme, or a collection of kitchy artifacts, most likely because those things just aren't meaningful to me. I'd have to manufacture an interest in, say, nutcrackers, which I don't currently possess. But I do love a home that feels cozily Christmas, and so I'll try to find that balance.

This is going to be a full season for us. The beach house is available this month to us, so I know that Bill is going to want to go down there a time or two. Then there is LaQuinta and her housing issues to consider. Then Clark's confirmation on the 13th, and our friend's ordination on the 14th, and the reception in his honor the 15th that I'm in charge of organizing. Somewhere in there I've got to figure out what I'm going to get everyone and shop for it! And decorate! And finish up the semester of homeschooling! And start a new painting class! And cook nourishing meals so I don't swell up like a balloon with holiday food!

I guess everyone feels the pinch of the holidays. I wish it weren't so, but it seems to be almost a matter of fact. Last night we intentionally didn't go to something we were supposed to be at just to have a boring evening! This in part because, Bill's concussion is still giving him trouble. For instance, he tried to help bringing down boxes from the attic, and immediately got a headache. He is supposed to fly to Chicago today, and I'm worried that this trip might be too taxing on him right now.

Anyway, Advent begins today, and I hope that the season brings a measure of blessed peace with it!

No comments: