Monday, December 18, 2006

Breathing room

Today I officially started thinking about Christmas. I ordered the trampoline, which they say will be here by Friday the 22nd. I have lined up someone to assemble it while we are at the beach from Friday - Sunday. I'm trying to figure out where to get black Converse AllStars now. We got a postcard from Grayson, as well as a few text messages, saying he's in Alice Springs, headed for Ayers Rock, and that he will miss us on Christmas. I'll miss him too.

My dear friend Beth lost her pet doggie, Zoe. Zoe was my dog Zeus' best friend. So it is a sad event for Bethie, but sad too because Zeus won't understand where Zoe is when Beth comes over. Beth hopes to get another dog, and quick. So sad.

Clark's confirmation was a special event for him. I love the aspect of it that he is the center of the universe for awhile, and not because of some game he's playing in, or some recital he's practiced for, or some accident he's had.... just because he's a person acknowleging that his spiritual path is important. That's it. That's the whole of confirmation: yes, I believe this stuff, and it matters to me. So I'm glad that he opted to take this step. He was pulled aside by Bishop Baker beforehand, and brought into the Catholic Church, so that he could be confirmed in it! So it was his joining the church, being confirmed in the church, first confession, and first communion, all rolled up together. The ceremony was beautiful and long. Bishop Baker gave a homily on stewardship. Gigi walked forward with Clark as his sponsor, and Clark assumed the confirmation name of Melchizedek. With as strange a name as that is, my parents (who did come to it!) didn't even ask the significance of it! I thought that was pretty shocking. BUt I shouldn't be shocked...there is a history of just not talking about things that they wish never happened. So I should have known there would have been no curiosity exhibited. But I'm grateful they came and sat through the service for Clark's sake.

The next day, Clark participated in the ordination of our friend Dwight. Clark had a very visible role as the book-bearer for the bishop. He ended up being the one who had to act as a human podium for the Bishop's homily. So for 30 minutes or so he knelt very still. This was the first time he had been analtar server! What a memorable week for him.

Then on Friday I spent the day planning a reception for Dwight. And LaQuinta moved out! She found a rental house, and so she left. I hope good things for her.

Saturday I slept and kept on my jammies all day.

Sunday night, we went to one of those parties where you just know that the whole time you are being sized up. I hate that. So no matter that the food was good, the home was lovely, the decorations tasteful....I still could not wait to get out of there. Bill even commented as we left how grateful he was that I was nothing like the women at the party. I told him I felt out of place, and he replied, "You WERE out of place! And thankfully!!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading about Clark's confirmation. What a wonderul thing that he has chosen his spiritual path -- and feels chosen too.

I'm not too surprised that you were not like the other women at the party ;-).

Merry Christmas,

Kim

my15minutes said...

Hey Kim! Merry Christmas to you too. I need to get your blog address... can you send it to me?

Anonymous said...

Glad you are finding some breathing room. Especially happy to hear about you spending a full day in your jammies. Let's see, it's 12:42 and I'm still in mine. I've been baking Christmas goodies and talking to dh, who is stranded in Denver. Must make a grocery store run, so I guess I'll get dressed. :-)

Merry Christmas, Beth!

Susan