At 5:30 this morning the back door closed. And so it started, the lies, the posturing, the clouded memory...
M was bored last night on New Year's Eve. Don't blame him...it is quiet here at the beach, and with Bill's toothache we didn't make any exciting plans. So he went for a walk on the beach. Where he happened to meet someone. Who happened to let him in a party at a private home, here on the island. Where he met someone else. Where he went to another party. Where he drank himself drunk. Where he inexplicably decided to steal $200 and a girl's photo ID'd credit card. From which he came home at 5:30.
Then he had the audacity to tell Bill that he had just been walking on the beach, thinking about his life and his friends. He decided he was going to lose the friends that were weighing him down, and he was going to recommit himself to finishing strong and getting back in school. This is, after all, the child who lost over a year of his high school experience, countless friends, his reputation, and trust/freedom for having sneaked around smoking pot. (We were supposed to fill out his re-application to school today.) So Bill and I talk for over an hour about his story, knowing that it didn't hold water, but wanting to believe it to be true.
So they packed up the car around lunchtime to return home, just Bill and M together. A car pulled in the driveway. It was his new 'friends' who were, um, missing some things. For some inexplicable reason he had left behind his wallet when he got in the car to leave, so he went back inside and got the items he had stolen and returned them. Thankfully, these friends didn't call the cops....they just came looking for him. Probably because if they called the cops they'd get busted for serving alcohol to a 15 year old. But whatever.
I'm just numb. My life has been made a mockery of...all the time I put into homeschooling him so he could get back in school. All the sacrifices he has meant for us. For what? So he can throw his life away. It isn't just a whoops! bad decision. It's a pattern of self-defeating behavior that he cannot even explain. He doesn't know why he stole a credit card he couldn't use anyway. He doesn't need money for anything....he has everything he needs and most of what he wants. He can't explain lying to parents who give him nothing but blessing and benefit. He. is. self-destructing. And I cannot make any sense of it. He had so much going for him. But like we told him, he's not just throwing away 15 years of achievement and good genes. He's throwing away his future now. School next year? He won't get in St. Jo's because we cannot honestly look them in the eye and say that he's changed. That's all they are looking for. College? He's one step outside of jail this morning, so it's hard to imagine him getting into some ivy league college (which is what he's capable of). Respect? Friends? Reputation? Nope.
So here I am at square one on New Year's Day wondering what the hell is happening to this wonderful, beautiful child of mine.

6 comments:
I'm so sorry Beth. Our kids have the capacity to bring the most joy to our lives as well as the most heartache don't they?
I'll keep you in my prayers. Hang in there.
Oh Beth, this just sucks in every possible way and I wish I knew one word of help. I want to rescue you from the pain. I want to tie MacKenzie to a chair!
I'm so so sorry.
My feeble prayers are offered on your behalf tonight, friend.
Julie
(((BETH)))
There is nothing worse than this type of pain.
Susan
so sorry Beth. I've prayed for you and your son and will continue to do so.
i've been reading "love and logic" parenting stuff... the one thought from there that comes to mind is placing the burden on the shoulders of the one it belongs to... don't know if you can use that in your situation, but if you are carrying the weight (normal for a parent) he may feel that he doesn't need to... hope you don't mind me adding my two cents worth.
blessings,
Mary
No i loved your comment Mary, and it is something I've thought of in terms of homeschooling. I might post about it on the forum or on the NCP loop. I think my homeschooliing, rather than helping, has just been enabling him to live under the illusion that he's paying for his mistakes. In reality, I'M paying for his mistakes. He's just floating along.
It's time for him to bear the weight.
BTW, I loved the Love and Logic book when I was younger. Maybe I should dig it out! If I could merge love and logic with ncp (not too hard to do) I'd have it down pat what to do!
my therapist friend told me about the love and logic books, and there are bunches of them now-- love and logic for younger children, teenagers, in school situations, and the one i'm reading right now is "meeting the challenge: using love and logic to help children develop attention and behavior skills."
i don't know very much about ncp but love and logic strikes me as compatible, because you are not making decisions for your children, but structuring your own behavior...
my heart aches for you as i read though. how good that he's talking with you and together you are getting clarity on what's going on...
Post a Comment