Monday, May 07, 2007

Thank you for finally listening to me

It's been five weeks since all this crap fell out, and a day hasn't gone by that I haven't cried, or else willed myself not to. I told you today that it was like our marriage had a broken leg, and you were expecting us to keep going without it being properly set. It's not been that I'm dwelling on the past, or unwilling to forgive and move on, or that I've just overreacted. Until today, those were your sentiments. So thank you for taking me seriously that I'm really crippled here, and that unless we plow through these things, we're going to continue to hobble along on our bum leg. Thank you for holding me and listening while I tried to explain stuff, and for not interrupting me, or refuting me, or asking leading questions. Thanks for not bristling. Thanks even for not replying. I have no idea how my comments struck you, but it was so nice to just get them all out there without censure; I know the bone isn't set yet, that you will have to respond and we will have hashing through it to do. But I felt heard. It opened the window for a little bit of trust to come back into what has been a cold and lonely house. I miss you horribly.

And thank you for being the fabulous father I've known from June05-April07 tonight. You were great talking with Grayson tonight about his accidents and self-destructive life. You were reassuring, and perceptive, and gentle, and humble. That's the man and father and husband and friend and lover that I just adore, the one I had gotten used to. The one I trust.

4 comments:

RedGypsie said...

AH!!! Fantastic breakthru!! All good things start with listening. Sooo happy for you this morning!!!

carrie said...

I cried all the way through this. Please, God, let this be a breakthrough, even if the road is still long and hard.

Holding you in my thoughts,
Carrie

Paula said...

Oh friend. I hope and pray for you that this is a beginning, even a rough one. My heart is with you.

SUSAN said...

Beth, I feel so much hope in your words. I am so glad the man you love and trust shone through, even if it was for a moment....that gives one hope for a better tommorrow!

Susan