He gets in the car:
Mom: How was it??!!
M: Pretty cool actually. There are 15 cool kids in my class. Which is 14 more than I expected. (Editorial note: Yes, the one was himself, and yes, he said it with a twinkle in his eye.) Out of 57 freshmen. It was great. I sat down at lunch and two girls and one guy came and sat at my table, and before long everybody was sort of hanging around. We played games most of the day, and one was a photo scavenger hunt. We had to get a picture of a freshman putting on deoderant, so since I have some good pit hair going, I volunteered. (Editorial note: Just the night before, he had taken the discarded brown ends of the corn silk, and sat down at dinner with no shirt, but with the corn silks bushing out of his armpits. We laughed hysterically.)
Then at dinner last night:
M: During chapel they said this prayer to St. Joseph. Did you know they were talking about JOSEPH, like as in, Jesus' father?
Mom: Yes, I was aware of that.
M: They all seemed to know this prayer and I just mumbled something.
Mom: I doubt anyone cared.
M: Then they said some kind of a 'pledge of allegiance' to Mary. I guess since they just prayed to Joseph they didn't want her left out.
Mom: Pledge of allegiance to Mary??
M: Yeah, kinda weird, huh?
Mom: (with sudden insight) It didn't start out with "Hail, Mary" did it?
M: (wide eyed) YEAH! I thought "What the heck? Why are they talking football?", but then I realized it was some pledge of allegiance thing.
DS#1: You mean Hail Mary isn't talking about football?
Parents are cracking up.
Welcome to Catholic school.
---Beth

No comments:
Post a Comment