Friday, December 31, 2004

Fun with teenagers

I really do love being a parent of teenagers.

Last night ds (age 16) and a bunch of his friends, and ds (age13) and a bunch of his friends, came over for our annual tradition of blowing up the Christmas tree. We take our dead dry tree and pack it with a few thousand firecrackers, plant it in the back yard, and light a match. I made hot cocoa and popcorn. In all we had 16 kids and 2 adults.

There's nothing like the energy and inventiveness of teens. And it is so nice (although rarer than I'd like) for them to just hang around with the adults and talk. The highlight of the evening, besides the pyrotechnics, was when three of the younger teens decided they wanted haircuts, done by dad and the older teens. Merritt ended up with a cross between Dumb and Dumber and Joe Dirt. Spencer and my son ended up with Mohawks, sort of. Keep in mind that we had no razor, and that the cutting implements were kitchen shears, sewing shears, and fingernail scissors. There were no combs. We laughed till we cried. And then, I remembered that my son has his interview to get into parochial school next week. Which made us laugh even more.

I wonder if they will admit a skinhead?




1 comment:

Unknown said...

And you are the "funnest" parent of a teen I know! This whole scene is so funny, I'm laughing till I cry and I'm not even able to get the visuals.

And what that means is that your dh owes you a digital camera, today. Return the second DVD player and go straight to Best Buy and purchase for thyself a camera so that we can see what you see.

Great tradition.

Exploding tree and New Year's hair cuts. I see it as the next hot trend from SC.