Wednesday, March 16, 2005

43 and counting

I passed my 43rd birthday with all the attendant requisite hoopla. Little did I know when I embarked on this marriage, this family what a job I was taking on. Maybe it is a good thing I dove into this live blind and young, neither set in my ways nor sure what those ways were. It's a good life, don't get me wrong; more good things than I can count. And I don't need to toil laboriously like so many in the world. But this life -- my life -- has taken more strength and perseverance than I ever dreamed I possessed. That's all. It hasn't been pretty, but I don't know that anyone gets a guarantee of "pretty". I've tried to make my small world better, that's all I can say.

I got these questions from another blogger, and I'm posting the rules to this game here.

The Official Rules of the Interview-Game
1. If you want to participate, leave a comment below saying "interview me."
2. I will respond by asking you five questions - each person's will be different.
3. You will update your journal/blog with the answers to the questions.
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview others in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions
6. I will answer reasonable follow up questions if you leave a comment.

Here are my questions, thanks to julieunplugged.com.

1. What themed party would you love to create and host some day (forget about the cost-sky's the limit)?

Right now, after having staged an audition film around this theme, I think it would be fun to have an Amazing Race party. You'd get clues, have tasks, and travel in groups of 4 all over a city (or limited area), and at each task there would be some 'local' food and drinks. Since cost isn't an issue, I'd have cameramen go with each group. Then at the Pit Stop, there would be great food, dancing, etc. Meanwhile the camerapeople would edit their film down and put together a 30 minute show of the highlights of the race. The winners would get some special nice prize, and maybe the "congeniality couple" would get a prize as well.

We went to a similar party last year, called a Road Rally. There weren't tasks, but there were clues you had to follow and questions you had to answer. At the end of the day, we all went to a great restaurant and had a fantastic party.



2. Which book is on your nightside table? Why did you put it there—why are you reading it?

The Daily Readings for the liturgical year, and Mary: A Biography of the Virgin Mother. My dd gave me this for my birthday: it's a feminist, non-Catholic biography of Mary, taking in the culture and customs, etc. It looks well-written and interesting.

3. What prayer (or call-response or creed) in the weekly mass is the most meaningful to you and why?

It changes, but consistently, I'd say it is this response before communion: "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed." It reminds me, if I've forgotten, that I'm not perfect; and if I'm well aware of my imperfections, it gives me the hope of grace in the form of healing and wholeness. So it speaks to whatever state my heart is in.

4. How can someone make you weak in the knees?

The last time I was literally weak in the knees (couldn't stand up) was when I thought Clark had gone missing from the house. The cops were there getting a recent picture and calling in the helicopters. I remember falling to the ground, unable to take it.

But I don't think that's what you were talking about! :-)

I guess, nibbling on my neck! :^D A second runner-up (that I don't get often enough!) is getting a massage, a foot massage, a scalp massage that isn't (A) too rough - I don't want all the knots in my body attacked! and (B) too rushed, wanting to get on to something else!!!

I am hard-pressed to say what emotional or verbal thing someone could do to make me weak in the knees. That isn't one of my more common emotions.

5. What is the first movie line that pops into your head? What does it mean to you?

OK, honestly it was Napolean Dynamite : "I caught you a nice bass"
Which, of course has no meaning to me! As for meaningful movie lines, this one probably scores up there:

- "You want answers?"
- "I want the truth!"
- "You can't handle the truth!"

This one seems reflective of so many people, and I don't want to be one. This line was also used on me to good effect by my dh....unfortunately, he had a point.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, you young thing. I've been 43 for a whole four months now.

i loved your response to the weak in the knees question. You captured lots of ways we get weak in the knees. Totally agree that lost children would render a mother unable to stand.

I sent you something in the mail. Let me know when it arrives. It should have an accompanying message so if it doesn't, let me know and I'll email it.

May your 44th year be filled with joys that take you deep into your life.

--Julie